Thursday 10 November 2011

Gum Wall


Ever heard of something as incredible as a Gum Wall? :) I'm quite the germ-o-phobe but when I heard about this place in Seattle's Pike Place Market, I couldn't wait to check it out.

My awesome aunt took me there one day a couple of years back (or was it just last year in 2010??) and though we forgot to bring along the one thing necessary for that trip (GUM, Doh!!), we found a little stall in Pike Place Market that had a sign that said, "Gum for the Gum Wall". It was probably the most expensive gum in the entire place but oh well. We were rushing for time. :p


Photobucket

Photobucket

Isn't it a sight to behold?? :D All the infinite rows of GUM. I just loved it. THE COLOURS! Apparently it was named one of the Top 5 GERMIEST Attractions in the world but when I laid my eyes on it, I just saw a place borne out of fun.

So just a little about its history, as it's right by the box office of a theater (that I don't think exists anymore), in the early 1990s, customers who were impatient about having to wait in line to get their tickets starting sticking the chewing gum onto the wall. The theater attendants tried scraping the Gum Wall twice (I pity anyone who was tasked with that job) but in 1999 it became a certified tourist attraction so they wisely gave up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Can you identify the painting it's supposed to resemble? :) I can't say I disagree with that statement!

Photobucket

Of course, I had to leave my mark on the Gum Wall for posterity to appreciate. Oh Green Apple flavored gum, may you remain among the millions of other pieces of gum, an everlasting testimony to the wacky creativity that flourishes in a society where gum is not on the list of banned items.

The Gum Wall
Post Alley at Pike Place Market
Downtown Seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment