Friday 13 July 2012

Swee Choon Dim Sum

I LOVE it when people visit from overseas. :D It's the perfect excuse/opportunity to take a break from work and go on a FOOD FEST. I'd been meaning to try this place out after hearing so much about how it's one of the best places for affordable Dim Sum in SG. Everyone seemed to have heard of it/been there before. And know how I found out about it? Instagram. :) After stumbling upon someone's photo of dimsum. That's why it's worth 1 billion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The famous fried mee suah (type of noodles) that I'd read about online. I would say it's worth trying and definitely had a unique taste (who doesn't like something crispy and fried?) but... probably wouldn't go all the way there for it. Could feel my arteries clogging up with every oily bite. O_O 


Photobucket

Fried eggplant with pork floss was nice!


Photobucket


Yeap, we had a great spread. :D See, that's another reason why it's good to have people visit from another country. You can order a ton of stuff that you really want to try and they're enthusiastic about it because it's all new to them and they don't know any better! 


Swee Choon Dim Sum 
187/191 Jalan Besar, Singapore 
Tel: +65 6294 5292 
Mon–Sat: 6pm – 10am 
Sun & PH: 6pm – 12pm 
(Closed on Tue)


Verdict: Decent dimsum BUT not really worth waiting in line for. And finding parking in that area is not easy. Service is good and efficient and they cater for customers queuing outside by providing seats and passing you the menu early on. Still, the dim sum was so-so. If you ask me, I'd rather go back to Victor's Kitchen for the best egg yolk custard buns that I've tried so far. :D 


BTW, recently a friend of mine mentioned that he doesn't agree with how people tend to do research on places to eat at before going there to try the food, because it spoils the experience/surprise. But does it really? In my opinion, I'd rather read up on a place beforehand so that I don't miss out on their best dish/really good recommended dishes which would make the eating experience worth it. What's your take on the practice of checking out eateries/food reviews before trying a new place out? 


EDIT: (29 July 2012)


SO GUESS WHAT. I happened to go back to Swee Choon last night for supper with some friends and I must say that my impression of the food there has gone up a few notches. :P A couple of things that are definitely worth ordering: 

- Xiao Long Bao
- Chicken drenched in some alcohol/Chinese wine? (I have no idea what it's called but it's a cold dish and unexpectedly tasty ;p) 
- Onion pancake -- and this has to be dipped in the chili soy sauce concoction they provide you with. HUGE WIN.
AND, something else even better? I discovered the presence of the "BACK ENTRANCE" to Swee Choon that allows you to bypass the queues up front and sit at the back of the restaurant to dine al fresco. It's really a good option since it saves you time otherwise spent queuing up with the rest of the crowd at the front and you get to enjoy a cool nighttime breeze. But if you're desperate for some air-conditioning then be prepared for the wait! We went at about 11pm and found seats immediately at the back. :D

Thank goodness for friends who know all these secrets. And this makes it way more likely I'll be going back for more. 

4 comments:

  1. The dim sum may TASTE soso, but your photos make them look like it tastes like HEAVEN! I'm craving dim sum nowww.

    I pretty much always read reviews of places I eat at before I actually go. I don't know if that's a good thing because sometimes that can cause a bias when going into the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I changed my mind about this place! :) But only because other items that I tried subsequent to this post were actually REALLY GOOD.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks so tasty! Aww, I miss Singapore :(

    ReplyDelete