Tuesday 10 July 2012

The Pigeonhole

A place that combines a love of coffee, books and art. What's not to like?


I first passed by The Pigeonhole one evening after eating dinner at Group Therapy (another really great cafe at Duxton!) and the first thing that came to mind was, wow, this place is pretty awesome! A quick peek through the window and you'll see a haphazardly cozy space that screams laid-back with a mish-mash of eclectic furniture (including the sort of desks used in schools!), walls covered in posters/postcards/signs promoting local artistes and events, people laying back and chilling out. I admire how the owners started it out with the aim to provide a space not just for people to relax in and have a drink but also for the promotion of the local arts scene - what with readings, open-mic nights, movie screenings and the like. 


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There aren't a lot of options on their menu, so we went with Chicken Pot Pie and Mac N Cheese. (Chicken Pot Pie above. It's kinda neat how they incorporated fried youtiao (the pieces of fried dough) into the dish which made for extra crisp but also contributed to it being a rather thick, starchy dish that got a little heavy after awhile.)


Photobucket

A unique twist on the typical Macaroni and Cheese dish! :) I like how the cheese was more of a crumble rather than the usual melted form. For someone who doesn't like cheese very much, I'm glad this one came out more salty and cheddar-like rather than parmesan (that tends to really smell). Interesting taste and I loved the crumbly texture of the cheese, but it could do with more mushrooms or even chicken to make it more substantial. That's just my opinion. ;p After awhile the homogeneity of the taste got to me.

Photobucket

Bread and butter pudding for dessert! This one was good. I love how they made use of croissant pieces as the 'bread' component. Really makes me want to try making some bread and butter pudding as well. NOMz. 


Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Apparently their selection of beers is really good. As usual, I ended up having tea. 


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Pigeonhole
52/53 Duxton Road 
Tel: 62262880 


Verdict: I would definitely go back there but more for the atmosphere rather than the food. It's a perfect place to relax and read on a quiet weekday afternoon. I can imagine it gets a lot more crowded at nights and during the weekend so pick your time to go wisely. 


Just a bit of advice, it's not really the place to bring your mama to if she's not appreciative of second-hand furniture thrown together in a manner that's creative/typifies hipsterdom. Plus, she was right in that it's not a place to go for purely for the food, since it's all stuff that can be reheated upon request. But the bread and butter pudding was good, and really, it's more a place to go to to chill out with friends after work or to lose yourself in a crowd when you need to be alone.


Photobucket

(top and skirt: Urban Outfitters, bag: Melie Bianco)

Outfit for the day. I actually got my hair permed but for some reason the curls aren't really maintaining themselves! O_o I'm hoping they'll last at least a few months. I've resorted to manually curling locks of hair whenever my hair's down and I remember to do so, sometimes receiving strange looks from friends. ;p It's not a compulsion; it's me hoping I haven't thrown XXX amount of money down the drain with this recent perm. 


On a side note, I really want to attend one of those events at The Pigeonhole (open-mic nights etc). I wish I could go out more just to listen to some good bands play sadly, those nights are few and far between. (Dang you, exams!) The one band that I really love listening to is The Next Movement (part of a larger band called Sixx) that plays Monday nights at Wala Wala in Holland V. Ohh I should really go back soon. Their rendition of 'Ordinary People' by John Legend always sends chills down my spine. In a good way. :D 


xx 

4 comments:

  1. OMG, I LOVE your outfit! you look head to toe adorable! I wish I could pull off bangs like you! <3. aaaaah, and art, books and coffee, siiiiiiigh, those are my three loves as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just by judging from your photos, it seems like that's the place I'd like to be for chill out session too. Your mum is cute lol

    Your outfit is adorable and you look so cute with your permed hair xD
    I had my hair permed last year and lasted for a few months, however I do regret not maintaing it properly because now my ends are dried lol but as long as my curls are still intact then I have no complaints, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it's definitely a great place to chill out. :D
      ooo good thing your curls are still intact! it's funny cos some days they aren't really there but then other days after a shower the curls mysteriously appear again with some manual twisting. go figure, eh? ;p

      Delete