Wednesday 27 June 2012

Baker and Cook

Not to be confused with the similar sounding vintage furniture store cum cafe, Carpenter and Cook, Baker and Cook is my absolute favorite bakery. :D Not that I've really been to that many in Singapore but out of the places that I have tried, this, I must say, TOPS THEM ALL. An artisan bakery along Hillcrest Road, it's blends in perfectly with the rest of the Greenwood avenue restaurants and gourmet grocers. Residents in this area and NJC/Raffles Girls' students are so lucky to have this right at their doorstep. I'm exceedingly envious!!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Look at all these scrumptious goodies!! Seriously, it was hard to contain my drool the minute I stepped it. The place has got such a cosy, relaxed feel to it - definitely contributed by the warm lighting, jazzy tunes playing in the background and the long rustic wooden table that takes pride of place in bakery. Oh, and did I forget to mention the fragrance of freshly baked bread, pastries and tarts? It's to die for. <3<3<3


Photobucket

Haven't had a plain croissant since coming back from Montreal! ;p I know it's suppose to be the classic/quintessential boulangerie pick but when there are so many other choices, I tend to pick those that are a little more interesting. 


Photobucket

I love how puffy giant meringues look. But I'm not one for actually trying them. >< Much too sweet for me. Photos will do! Has anyone tried it before? Does it just taste like one big blob of sugary stuff that melts in your mouth? 


Photobucket

A great selection of home-made cookies, jams and baking books by Baker & Cook founder  Dean Brettschneider. They've also got it available on the table for browsing. Might do that one of these days. 


Photobucket

It was SO hard to come to a decision on what to get, but eventually I decided to get a loaf of walnut bread along with home-made Mixed Berries Jam. It was recommended by the lady behind the counter as her favorite, compared to the German Volkhorn Loaf which tends to be favored by the foreigners apparently. I'm so glad I took her advice, because it was SO GOOD. This bread is one of the best I've had. I warmed it up in the oven for about 5 minutes and when it emerged, it was warm, crispy at the outside crust but soft on the inside with generous amounts of walnuts. :) I LOVE when they're generous with the ingredients.


Photobucket

Photobucket

A perfect combination. :) I ended up having a slice/two every morning for breakfast along with peanut butter and that Mixed Berries Jam. This week I'm still trying to finish up the German Volkhorn Loaf which is definitely good, and very grainy (if you're into that, which I am), but of course, it's a lot denser and doesn't have the same lightness as the Walnut bread. 


Photobucket


On a separate occasion, I also tried their cinnamon raisin bagel. MAJOR MAJOR YUMZ. :) Once again, they are so generous with the raisins! I loved being able to munch on a few raisins with every mouthful (and it doesn't always happen with bagels from other places). I'd definitely recommend this. 


Photobucket



Baker & Cook 
77 Hillcrest Road, Greenwood 
288951 SINGAPORE
t: +65 6469 8834 
Opening hours: Sunday to Thursday - 7am to 8pm 
Friday to Saturday - 7am to 10pm

How cool is that quote on the wall outside? The only unfortunate thing, is that I think they've now stopped in-house dining! :(( When I last went, there was a sign on the counter saying they'd disallowed it. Which SUCKS. Because previously they provided brunch and all the dishes I'd seen in photos looked pretty darn delish. But FYI, they also serve cold cuts/sandwiches/salads at a separate counter and it looks really decent too.

Time to head over and check it out :) But try to go on an off-peak period? Let's not crowd the place up! It helps that it's way nearer to my house than Tiong Bahru Bakery (which was far too crowded when I went). 

I'm so happy that more bakeries are opening up in SG. More, please...MOAR. 
xx 

2 comments:

  1. I like all the photos you took at Baker & Cook. They're far superior than mine! Jealous. Haha. Btw, how was your experience at Tiong Bahru Bakery? Always wanted to pay a visit but either I can't find the time or is worried that it'll be damn crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! X) am still trying to work on my photography skills.

      Hmm Tiong Bahru Bakery was just really crowded! :( That kind of marred the experience for me! Because when I went in there it took quite a while to get a seat and it was a lot of jostling through crowds of people queuing to get their pastries/breads... And pastries-wise, I guess of course it's not as good as the Gontrand Cherrier bakery that I went to in Paris :p But I did take away their fruit and nut bread loaf and that was quite decent!

      (I think best to go on a weekday. I had gone on a Sunday late afternoon so I guess I had been asking for it. ;p) Hope your visit there will be awesome!

      Delete