Sunday 1 December 2013

best coffee between the earth and sky

One of the most gorgeous places I've been to in my life. EVER.

View from the Mount John Observatory at Lake Tekapo. I guess most people would make the journey there to gaze at stars in the night sky but it's also a perfect place to enjoy brunch in the day with good company.

 photo mountcook1smaller_zps38907f58.jpg

The waters were THAT clear and the skies a perfect blaze of wispy clouds. I kid you not.


 photo observatory2smaller_zpsaee200f2.jpg

And atop the mountain lies the Astro Cafe , a place that claims to have the best coffee between the earth and the sky. :D Not too sure about that because I tucked in to a deliciously warm cup of hot chocolate since it was cold and chilly up there. The food was regular fare - sandwiches, cakes, financiers... made all the more special because of the location. I wonder how many couples come to this spot for their first date. Wouldn't it be amazing to watch the sunset and then enjoy a feast of stars after? SIGH. 


 photo observatory8s_zpsab4da695.jpg

Meet a regular's adorable god! :) I'm pretty sure he was a regular because well he was one of those congenial old men you'd imagine to be retired but spends his free time walking his dog to funky places to meet new people because he can. And the dog definitely knows his way around the observatory point - look how at home he is. 


 photo observatory1smaller_zps8cbcd66e.jpg

 photo observatory4_zpsecf54597.jpg

Agh if this was a few months ago I would definitely be able to recall his name but for the life of me, I can't now. Gosh has it already been... 7 months since my graduation trip? Time flies so much faster than we ever realize.


 photo observatory5smaller_zpsc3493bff.jpg


Mmm-mmm nothing like hot chocolate with marshmallows for brunch! 

 photo observatoryblog1_zpsed7f6a0e.jpg

I love the colour of those pretty blue cups against the slate grey stone table. 


 photo observatory7smaller_zps1a253121.jpg

What a way to enjoy summer vacation for a kid eh? For anyone, for that matter. 


So once again, another recommendation for your NZ trip. Seriously, I would put this on a bucket list/list of places to visit in one's life!

-----

Ahhh it's the first of December already. I feel like I should be reflecting a little more since it's that time of the year when resolutions need to be made in order to make some improvements in life. But boy, has it been a crazy busy past few months of work. Most days after work all I want to do is either lie in bed doing absolutely nothing but enjoy the peace, quiet and comfort of my blankets or the solace of a good book/tv show. The amazing thing is that I've managed to read more books (for leisure) in the past few months since starting work than I have read probably in the past 1-2 years as a student. ;p For now, it's great because I don't have to force myself to study. There are always pros and cons of any situation and now while the obvious con would be work that I don't always enjoy and find overly draining at times, this is also the year when I can kick back after work and simply do whatever I want to do. I need to remember that and enjoy these times while I still can. 

See? Always in need of more reflection. 

xxoo



No comments:

Post a Comment